We are excited to bring you the Main Street Half Marathon of Hunterdon…”from Mill to Main”! Many of us life long county residents, our collective vision for this race is simple, highlight some of the greatest things our area has to offer – beautiful landscape, welcoming communities and generously supportive small businesses…while doing what we can to contribute in the fight against one of our area’s biggest challenges – addiction. If this is a vision you can get behind with us, spread the word, share this post…tap a friend, family member or business that may be willing to join in, run with, sponsor or support….sometimes the biggest and most powerful waves can start with a few simple splashes in a giant ocean!
Please Note: we are still confirming and adding some of the final details, so information on this page is subject to change. Check back closer to the event date for our final timeline!
- EXPO and Packet Pickup – Ever been to an “outdoor” race expo? Us neither…but that’s the plan. Check out a full listing of details on our EXPO page! On Saturday, 10/12 packets will be available for pick-up on the Hunterdon Art Museum terrace just off Main Street, Clinton, NJ from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM (note, no race day packet pick-up). But there’s more, thanks to sponsorship from the Clinton Guild – come out and join our outdoor expo/festival from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM. Enjoy a local craft brew from our friends at Sunken Silos or Lone Eagle Brewing and carb-up at local favorite like Dora, the Towne Restaurant or Clean Plate. Stroll the town and enjoy the various shops, live music, merchants, etc. and take advantage of the exclusive participant media guide and coupon book to the downtown shops! And, bring your superheros! Announcing the Superhero Sprint at 3p. DETAILS HERE
- Lodging – the Clinton & Flemington area offer multiple large chain hotels, as well as numerous bed & breakfast establishments, and many available rooms on sites like AirBNB.
- Swag – whether you stopped aging years ago or are still celebrating birthdays with the kiddies, who doesn’t love a “goodie bag”. Participants will love their custom MSHM shirt as well giveaways from local businesses, expo vendors, and official “merch” in the “Main Street” store.
- Start – All Runners (5k, Relay, Half) 8:00AM Main Street, Clinton NJ 08809, Walkers 7:30 AM.
- Parking & Transportation – parking for participants will be available near Liberty Village (map here) where a complimentary shuttle will be provided, leaving Flemington at 7a and heading to the starting line early on race morning for participants (only). RSVP at registration was required and space is limited. Shuttles, generously provided by our friends at Hunterdon County ESC (with a portion of event proceeds benefiting their “Hooked on Fishing, Not on Drug” program), will begin loading at 6:30a and the last shuttle will leave NO LATER than 7a (don’t be late!). Please note, walkers will be sent off at 7:30a so please either get on bus one or arrange your own transportation to the start!
- Swag – whether you stopped aging years ago or are still celebrating birthdays with the kiddies, who doesn’t love a “goodie bag”. Participants will love their custom MSHM shirt as well as the custom medal of achievement they’ll receive as they head to the finish line party, grab a beverage or two and enjoy food and refreshments generously donated by local businesses. Additional food & beverage will be for sale for friends and family members!
- Starting Line – Main Street Clinton, at the Iconic Red Mill. Those taken by the shuttle will be dropped near the start at Main & Hallstead street and will have less than 2 blocks to walk to the corrals! Listen for the music provided by Doctor D Entertainment and look for the hundreds of other anxiously awesome participants waiting the gun! Please note, Hallstead / Leigh street will be open to traffic so please be mindful of safety, and pay close attention to corralling and starting instructions (start will be “chipped”).
- Wave Starts – participants will go off in waves, which will be assigned on bibs, based on estimated finish time. Runner waves will begin being released at 8a sharp! PLEASE NOTE this event is walker friendly. Walkers will have a 7:30a start time.
- Course – we’re runners first….not elites, but “age-groupers” just like you….so on top of some of NJ’s most beautiful scenery, country roads, groomed trails, a “babbling river”, a few rollers, a horse farm or two…and the “Rise to Glory” at mile 9 – a climb with revolutionary roots, just before a fast finish….the perfect mix of distance, hills, and speed…a challenge you can feel amazing having achieved! The course will remain open for 4 hours, and will have plenty of aid stations stocked with water and gatorade, and nutrition at the half way point. More course details can be found HERE.
- Finish – ever finish a race and feel like you’ve been “welcomed home” by family…that’s the charm of Flemington and the community that surrounds it. Run past historic sites on your way to Stangl Road for a post-race celebration with your actual family…and those that after 13.1, somehow sorta feel like it! Enjoy your custom medal of achievement as you head to the finish line party, grab a beverage or two and enjoy food from sponsor Blue Fish Grill and refreshments generously donated by local businesses. Additional food & beverage will be for sale for friends and family members!
- Awards – in addition to custom medals for all finishers, thanks to the generous sponsorship from the talented artisan Bill Healy, we are going to have a custom designed award for first place overall male and female runners. But that’s not all! 2nd and 3rd Overall M/F, 10 Year Age Groups (Top 3 M/F), Team Challenge, and introducing The Mayor’s Cup Fitness Challenge! This Stanley Cup style award will be given to the winning town to display in their town hall for a year! There will also be a couple of other little surprises, so stick around for the awards ceremony and applaud everyone’s accomplishments.
2019 Main Street Half Marathon Relay
- Bibs, Timing and Logistics – If you sign up for the relay, both members of your team will receive relay-specific race bibs, shirts, and all the same swag as the rest of the runners. Your bibs will both have timing chips on them–Runner 1 will receive a timed result from race Start to the Transition zone, and Runner 2 will receive one from the Transition Zone to the Finish. Your team will receive an overall result based on combined times of Runner 1 and Runner 2. Your results will be listed by team.
- The Transition Zone – After the race starts, the second leg runners should make their way to the transition zone to await their team member (see transportation information below). We will have a spotter out on the course as runners approach the transition zone. When Runner 1 of your team comes into view, we’ll call announce your approach to a second volunteer who will let Runner 2 know it is time to enter the Transition Area for the hand off. A third volunteer will be directing relay runners into the appropriate lane for the transition while the rest of the runners enter the pass-through lane for their split time. It is important that both runners cross the Transition Zone timing mat together so we have a finish time for Runner 1 and a start time for Runner 2.
After Runner 2 runner heads out, Runner 1 will receive their race medal, and can grab some water or Gatorade before making their way to the finish line to cheer on their teammates.
- Relay Transportation – We will have transportation on race morning from the Finish to the Start. If you’d like to take advantage of that, you can sign up for it here. We will also have transportation from the Start to the Transition Zone—at 8:15am (15 minutes after the race is under way) we will have all our second leg Runners board a shuttle to the Transition Zone. The shuttle will be waiting on East Main St at Leigh St in Clinton. (see Map)
IMPORTANT: There will not be a shuttle from the Transition Zone to the Finish area, so if you both take the bus to the Start, you should arrange to have a friend or family member wait at the Transition Zone to drive Runner 1 to the Finish.
Our recommendation: If you want total flexibility of transportation, relay teams can meet at the Finish Area Parking (see map) in the morning, leave one car there and then drive together to the start. After dropping off Runner One, Runner Two should drive down to the Transition Zone. Runner 1 would then drive that car down to the finish so that both Runner 1 and Runner 2 will have their cars after the race. If you choose to do this, make sure you both have the right sets of keys before the race starts!
2019 Main Street 5k
- Details, Details – Yup, we did it… thanks to sponsorship and support from the Hunterdon County YMCA we’ve added a 5k option. Participants will line up at the start in Clinton with the rest of the half marathoners and will finish at Camp Carr where they will receive a complimentary shuttle back to Clinton post race. Don’t forget to jump in your car and join us at the Half Marathon finish party in Flemington!
- Follow your runner to the Finish – There are a few key spots along the route that will give you an opportunity to catch sight of the runners and cheer them on. A map with parking and suggested cheer zones can be found here: Spectator Map
- “Loudmouth” (cheer) Zones – let’s be honest…everyone knows a “Loudmouth” or two…the difference, in this social setting, they are EXACTLY the people you want to see! With a whistle or a cowbell, or just literally a loud mouth…they know just how to lift your spirits when you’re churning out the miles. Tell them to target near mile 2.5 at the intersection of Hamden Rd. & Lower Landsdown, again near mile 5 (access via Lilac Drive) at the intersection of Kiceniuk and River Rd., and then again near the “Rise to Glory” near mile 9.5 near the intersection of Sand Hill Rd. & Thatchers Hill, before heading towards the finish.